Tuesday 17 December 2013

Recognise Our Rights: LGBT Groups

Demanding that the Supreme Court should recognise the rights of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Trangender(LGBT) community, LGBT members of Hyderabad staged a protest on Sunday at Dharna Chowk, Indira Park.
They condemnded Supreme Court’s ruling which treats sexual relations between consenting gay adults as unnatural.
The main concern of the members was losing their basic rights and not able to lead a normal life. “I have been living like a gay openly from a long time. These kind of laws creates fear in me. I keep thinking whether I will get arrested if I go out with my boyfriend,” said Shane and added “With this law I don’t feel I am an Indian as I don’t have any rights”.
Another member of the community added, “2.5 million people are criminalised because of genetic reasons. These are the things we don’t have to fight for, this judgment has failed human rights,” said Sai.
Some of the members expressed concern about not finding a  solution for the issue. “Delhi High Court and Supreme court are supposed to protect legal rights of human beings.
If the highest authority gives these kind of verdicts, where are we supposed to appeal?” questioned Sudha, a PhD scholar who is doing research on LGBT groups.
“The advocacy analysis said that because of this law, there are chances of LGBT members committing suicide as they might face pressure from different sections of society,” said the PhD scholar about other problems the community members might face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

@LoosesLips

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews